Pages

Sunday 12 October 2014

October General Conference 2014

General Conference is a semi-annual, global meeting for members and investigators of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Personally, I would say it's an acquired taste as it is several hours long (broken up into two hours segments), and it was painful as a child. Let's be honest: it was pretty much painful until I was a freshman in college, and then conference began to mean a lot more to me as it offered a way for me to feel connected to my family. I appreciate it even more now, but I'm not going to pretend that it's easy to sit and listen for 8 hours.

This year I decided to try something that I'm a little embarrassed to admit at never having tried before: having specific questions in my mind before conference, and praying that I will find answers to those questions during conference. Without getting too personal or specific - I had questions about motherhood and being a wife. They are my priorities, but lately I feel that I've been doing less than my best at both due to letting the stress of life get at me.

A few conferences back I heard a statement that really struck me. It had an effect on me that I do not believe words have ever had on me before:


I think about this quotation often when I am pondering what I need to do to be a better mother. I suppose what I was looking for this time is something that can expound upon that statement. I discovered two talks, among many jewels, during this conference that I felt applied to my questions: 

Tad R. Callister

Elder Richard G. Scott


I loved the simple advice offered in each one, and I know that they will make me a better mother and a better wife. It is so hard to feel I am a failure at things that are so important in my life, and I know that I can be doing better, but sometimes it's hard to see where. I am grateful to have the gentle reminders offered so that I can start perking up my efforts.

The quotation from Pres. Packer is still the most poignant thing I've heard regarding my desires, and I hope that I can be that righteous mother who can offer up faithful prayers on behalf of her children, and know that they have a certain power to them. (I should probably pray daily that I will keep my sanity until all of my children are old enough to take care of themselves.) I hope that all women who have the same desires as me will listen to the talks I included above, and that they will remember what power their prayers can have if they are women of God and not women of the world. 

The last thoughts I want to leave with you do not have anything to do with this particular conference session, but they are part of the train I was riding on while writing this post. Part of my goal as a mother is to have sons hope to find a wife like me, and for daughters to want to be like me. It has caused me to reflect deeply (especially now that I know I'll be raising a little lady) on the next two thoughts: 
"Women of God can never  
be like women of the world. 
The world has enough women who are tough;  
we need women who are tender.  
There are enough women who are coarse;  
we need women who are kind.  
There are enough women who are rude; 
we need women who are refined.  
We have enough women of fame and fortune;  
we need more women of faith.  
We have enough greed;  
we need more goodness. 
We have enough vanity;  
we need more virtue.  
We have enough popularity;  
we need more purity." - Margaret D. Nadauld

Here's to Good Women by suzette


Whew! A little bit of pressure, huh? ;) Please pray for me: I need all the prayers I can get! (Don't we all?) Pray that I will be a righteous and good woman, and that I will raise righteous and good children. Pray that I will be a success in the eyes of the most important people in my life right now:

This picture is a year old now - sheesh.
Sometimes I still can't believe I'm having a little lady. 

They deserve the best. I pray that I will apply the reminders and teachings offered during this conference to become the best wife and mother that I can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...