Sunday, 28 September 2014

We Went to Oregon

We do this trip about once a year because it's too far and too much money to do it more often that. Last year we went for Thanksgiving, and this year we went for a wonderful reason: the sealing of my brother-in-law's family. (Please click here to get a brief insight into what a sealing is and why it's so important in our religion.)

Thursday was a travel day, and it was a little stressful. Here's a visual on why:

(Don't freak out Garrison - it's all good.) Apparently we lost a belt, but luckily we were super close to an exit and could pull right off the interstate. A concerned citizen saw the smoke coming out of the engine and called 911 saying that our car was on fire. We had four police cars, one fire truck, and one ambulance at our car within minutes of exiting. The car wasn't actually on fire, but it was incredibly hot. My parents were superheroes and cruised out to Mountain Home to pick us up so that we could make our flight on time, and they took care of the car while we were gone for the week. We are incredibly grateful for that.

It was Sprout's first time on a plane and he did amazing! I was incredibly worried that we were going to have a hard time, but he just split his time between sitting in between mommy and daddy and sitting on mommy's lap to look out of the window. Grandma and Grandpa let him borrow Cars so that he could watch it to help pass the time.

Our first flight didn't leave until after Sprout's bedtime so we had him fly in his jammies in the hope that he'd fall asleep. It didn't work because he was too wired about the new experience, but everybody thought it was super cute.

Mr. Mitchell's mom and step-dad picked us up from the airport when we landed at 10:30pm (11:30pm our time - Sprout was a little tired at this point), and we got all settled in at our hotel. They had their own mini-catastrophe when they checked-in at the hotel prior to our arrival: the hotel had lost the reservation and didn't have any rooms for us. They saved the day by finding a hotel for us before we landed so we'd have a place to crash at right after getting off of the plane.

Friday was spent buying things that didn't fit in our carry-on bags (i.e. snacks, diapers, etc.) and convincing Sprout to nap so he wasn't a little beast. Family slowly rolled in throughout the day and we got to spend a bit of time catching up. In the evening my brother-in-law's wife, Liz, went through the temple for the first time to receive her endowment. (Please click here to learn about endowments.) It was so nice to be there with her for that.

Testing my flash on the brothers.

My brother-in-law, Luke, and his wife, Liz. 

I made them give me a smooch for the camera.

(By the by, for those who care, we're at the Medford temple.)

Saturday morning we all reconvened at the temple for the sealing. My mother-in-law was in tears before Luke and Liz were even in the sealing room. I was in tears when they knelt at the altar. Liz was sobbing once the sealer starting speaking. It was all very sweet, and I was in awe at the spirit that I felt there. It was even better when Luke and Liz's boys were brought in to be sealed to them, and I am so grateful that they have the blessing of being an eternal family now.

He would NOT look at me.

But I got him here.

California Mitchells

With Liz's parents.

With Luke's mom and step-dad.

The best picture we could get of our little family.


F. sharing his sippy with Sprout.

Cousins at the temple.

The original Mitchell clan minus one.

The best picture we could get of the boy cousins.
We were glad to see my sister-in-law, Rachel, and her boys at the temple. While they were visiting with everyone my son showed that he has real class at sacred places.

I did not encourage pantsless break dancing on temple grounds.
It happened anyways.

After the sealing we went our separate ways to do what needed to be done. My little family had lunch, swam, and took a rest. Then it was time to go to a birthday party. Luke and Liz's boys both have fall birthdays, and Sprout's birthday falls in between them, so they decided to have a little boy party for the boy cousins. Rachel made the super cute cake, people got to play in the splash park, and we all almost died of heat stroke. Not really, but really.

Planes, trains, and automobiles for little boys.

About two weeks less than a year apart.

First time meeting his cousin J.

The three birthday boys.
Getting cleaned up after cake.

Sadly, the best picture I could get of all of the grandkids.

It was an eventful day, and we're grateful for the love that was present for all of the events.

Sunday and Monday were chill days and no photos were taken. Tuesday my little family went to the beach with Grammy and Grandpa. When we arrived it was raining and incredibly windy. This made Sprout very skeptical. He decided he'd rather play in puddles than in the 'big water.'

We hid out in the lighthouse for a bit, and then the rain went away and the wind calmed down. Once we reached that point we couldn't keep Sprout out of the sand if  we tried. He still never cared for the 'big water,' but he had a blast playing at the ocean.

It's as artistic as I get, folks.

I am in love with his footprints. They were all
over the sand, and my heart kept melting.
On Wednesday we were done with our journey to Oregon and flew back to Boise. We arrived in the early evening and enjoyed a night of dinner and early bedtimes.

Thursday was our final travel day, but first we had to celebrate Sprout's second birthday and my parent's anniversary. We went to Toys 'r' Us and finally found a broom that's Sprout's size so that he can stop stealing mine. It's been a huge success. We also went to the park where he chased ducks to his heart's content. I think the ducks liked it.

Yummy pumpkin roll cake.

Celebration dinner at Texas Roadhouse.

After dinner it was time to head home to Pocatello. We stopped in Burley to get daddy's car and things, and Sprout got to drive the biggest fire truck in the world. (His all-time favorite activity right now is 'driving.')

I think the kid had a pretty good birthday. (We keep trying to tell him that he's two-years-old and he just says, 'No. No two.' Apparently we're lying about our ages already in this house.) After the excitement of daddy's fire engine it was a disappointment to get in our little car, but I think the kiddo was happy to be home. We got home a little after 10pm, and our journey was concluded.

Thank you so much to my parents and Mr. Mitchell's mom and step-dad. This trip would not have happened without them. Congratulations to Luke and Liz! We are incredibly happy for you, and we are so grateful to have been a part of it.


  1. Awesome post. So happy for you going on a nice holiday! Congrats to your in-laws. :)

  2. You forgot to mention Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell and Sprout finally getting to meet their only niece/girl cousin on the Mitchell side. I know it was a big event for Jaycee, finally getting to meet Auntie Sabrina, Uncle Paul and Cousin Caleb. She had a good time! :)

    1. I'm sure I forgot to mention many things. Lol. I do what I can. I do feel badly that we weren't able to get a picture of you and Paul together. I totally meant to when you were able to come visit on our last night since I had a picture of him with Luke and Rachel.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...