Pages

Tuesday 1 March 2011

Book Thoughts for February

Sorry if the book thing is really boring, but I always feel the need to share after I have read a book. I should probably join a book club or something. Is it required to wear funny sweaters and have a mom-do to be in a book club?

The first book I read this month was The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. My mom loaned this one to me and I was not too thrilled about reading because two pages into the book I realized that the entire story was told through letter correspondence; however, the storytelling through letters was done so well I soon forgot I was reading letters and was completely engrossed in the story. The main character is endearing and the entire book is filled with humorous anecdotes. As I read further into the book I was surprised at the depth that was achieved. On the surface it is a story of a woman writer in post WWII London and her acquaintances but underneath it is a look into a life of heroism and bravery on the Channel Islands during WWII. I thought it was a delightful book.


The next book I read was The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and The Big Hungry Bear by Don and Audrey Wood. I read this for literacy class and fell in love with the little mouse: I wanted to take him home. I must admit I have a weakness for children's books and I was also predisposed to like this one because one of my favorite books growing up was also written by Don and Audrey Wood (King Bidgood's in the Bathtub); however, I still believe it is a genuinely cute book for children and adults. A fellow reader commented on how the story requires the reader to be a devil's advocate which is a different and fun approach to reading a children's book.


The last thing I read in its entirety this month is the February Ensign magazine. My favorite article is titled The Power of Early Preparation written by Ronald Errol Bartholomew (what a mouthful). It addresses how vital it is for parents to teach children consistently, as soon as they are in their homes, in order to prepare them to stand up to the world and stay strong in their faith. If parents focus on eternal priorities they can help their children develop a love for gospel truths which will bless them throughout their lives.


My current read is Winston & Clementine: The Triumphs and Tragedies of the Churchills. It's a doozy; I have been working on it for three weeks and if it is not finished by the end of March I will flush it down the toilet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...